Pages

Monday 30 November 2015

Wii Math: Mean, Median, Mode, Range Practice

I heard about this lesson via Twitter many years ago (in 2010, to be exact) so to my mind this is an oldie (but a goodie).

Basically, we use the Wii game Mario Kart to generate data for analysis.


It's a fun way to get many data points fast.

We play 4 players for 10 (or more) games (so each student plays twice, approx.), tracking the ranking for each player.

Then we use the data for mean, median, mode, range practice...and analyze the data for any patterns or conclusion we might make about it.

Today, we played the game and generated our data points, which is the first step.

In the past, I've spoken quite a bit about the potential of video games for learning in the classroom. In 2011, I did a research project on using Mario Kart to promote student engagement in the classroom, for which I was interviewed by CBC Radio. I also used the Wii in a Social Skills program, which was published as a journal article.

Click here to learn more about my research project.

Click here to listen to the radio interview.

Click here to read the journal article.

No comments:

Post a Comment